Page 51 - Hub-4 Magazine Issue 69
P. 51

 “This is the largest soil wash plant in the world,” he adds. “Not only is it the largest but it's the most sophisticated plant.”
Thomas Posillico says, “This is really a one-of-a-kind operation that can take so many different varieties of soil and run it through the same plant. Nobody is doing anything like this on Long Island or in the US, that I know.”
Maximising material, minimising impact
One of the largest and most advanced contaminated soil washing facilities in the world, the
wash plant boasts a high material recovery rate. Posillico can now reduce the unsuitable content in the raw material to approximately 10% on average, with the remaining 90% being diverted from landfill.
The Farmingdale facility has the
capacity to recycle up to 3,000 tonnes of soil per day while simultaneously recovering high value
recyclable and saleable products, such as sand and aggregates, that meet NYSDEC remediation standards.
Posillico is now producing a range of materials, including concrete and mason sands, and three different aggregates: 1⁄4” – 5/8”, 5/8” – 1 1⁄4”, and 1 1⁄4” – 4”.
As a vertically integrated operation, over 60% of the certified sand and aggregates recycled are used by Posillico Materials in asphalt production with the remainder sold directly to the market.
Within its first few months of operation, the plant processed over 65,000 tons of contaminated soil from the 12-acre Harbor Isle brownfield site. Formerly a Cibro petroleum storage facility, the site had been contaminated for decades and was subject to a major remediation project. Fuel and oil had contaminated the soil and groundwater and Posillico set out on a 20-year journey to return the land to good use.
Now, the site will soon become a multi-million-dollar luxury apartment complex.
Due to the variable nature of contaminated soils, the Posillico wash plant can accept a wide variety of feed material.
Robert Tassey says, “We can now feed ourselves with not only contaminated material but our unsuitable fill from jobsites that's left over, our excavation waste, our drilling spoils.”
As well as processing material from its own operations, the plant is available to process material from other local construction and engineering companies which lowers the cost of waste disposal, diverts valuable material from landfill, and lowers carbon footprint due to reducing the need for transporting material off the island.
Feed material the advanced contaminated soil washing plant can process includes, excavation waste, recognisable and uncontaminated materials (RUCARBs), contaminated fill, dredge waste, mixed loads, and more.
“You name it this CDE plant can process it,” Tassey says.
He continues, “With population expanding our infrastructure is getting old. The emphasis has to be on rebuilding and investing in our infrastructure.
“With that there's going to be a ton of material that needs to be processed and it needs to be processed responsibly and efficiently, and the way to do that is to recycle it through a plant like ours.”
Customer for life
Every CDE project benefits from its customer for life model, which ensures transparent and effective communication from the beginning of the project until commissioning and unrivalled after- sales support.
Sean O'Leary, CDE CustomCare Manager, North America, says, “Where the project ends, that's where CustomCare comes in. What we do is we maintain that relationship with the customer, through parts, through service, through technical advice, and just overall operation of the plant.”
One of the challenges with Posillico, he says, is that the material coming in is constantly changing.
“It's never a steady feed material, so you're always making adjustments to the plant to make sure you get the requirements you need.”
The beginning of something really important
Commenting on the success of the plant, Michael J. Posillico says, “We believe in a sustainable future and with our partners at CDE we are uniquely positioned to ease the burden on virgin materials in the tri-state area through our wash plant.
“We are looking at every aspect of our operation to see where we can minimise our environmental impact and reaffirm our commitment to sustainability on Long Island. These are attributes that are reflected in the very design of the plant, too, which operates all-electric drives and recycles up to 90% of the process water we use. Not only that, but we collect and recycle 3.6 million gallons of stormwater annually to maintain our top-up water supply.”
He concludes, “What we have here is the beginning of something really important,” referencing Posillico’s leadership in contaminated soil washing for North America.
For more information about CDE wet processing solutions, visit
CDEGLOBAL.COM
      




































































   49   50   51   52   53