OTR Keep the Pressure on Earthmover Tyres
- 14 November 2008
- Product News
‘The correct pressure in earthmover tyres not only improves the safety and stability of the vehicle but gives operators a much improved return on investment'. "That's a pretty obvious statement," said OTR's Regional Sales Manager Paul Skerritt, "but you would be amazed at what we find onsite sometimes".
So, to overcome that type of situation, in addition to the regular onsite tyre inspection and maintenance, OTR can now supply tyre pressure monitoring systems as part of their earthmover tyre management service.
But why is tyre pressure so important?
Graeme Manning, OTR's Commercial Director, said: "Inflation pressure is one of the most important factors affecting tyre life. Fuel efficiency is greatly affected too - a tyre under inflated by 10% reduces fuel efficiency by 1.5%."
Over inflation increases the tension in the casing cords and reduces the tread contact area, which results in:
1. Reduced grip - particularly noticeable on smooth, wet surfaces
2. Lower traction - due to reduced tread contact area
3. Increased tread wear in the centre of the tyre - due to reduced width of contact area
4. Increased risk of damage - due to greater tension in the cords
Under inflation decreases the tension in the casing cords and increases the tread contact area, resulting in:
1. Potential casing fatigue - due to increased deflection and stresses
2. Uneven tread wear - due to distortion in contact area, possibly causing shoulder wear
3. Higher rolling resistance - due to greater force required to move the tyre (This causes heat to be generated and increases fuel consumption)
4. Tyre/Rim slip - may occur due to reduced tyre to rim clamping forces
The pressure monitors fitted by OTR are simple to install, consisting of two basic components - tyre sensors that screw onto the valve stems of the tyres, and a monitor fitted in the cab. The sensors transmit a coded RF signal to alert a drop in pressure and the cab monitor displays each tyre's pressure reading and sends an audible alert if tyre pressure drops.
"Customers are already seeing the benefits - we recently fitted a system to a CAT773E quarry truck. OTR recorded that one of the rear tyres only had 30psi, and even more worryingly, one tyre had 0psi which would have resulted in the tyre running flat for the remainder of the day or even worse, failing!" concluded Paul.
OTR continue to develop their products and services for the earthmover, waste and bulk handling markets - a commitment which offers customers ‘much more than just tyres'
For further product information, please contact OTR Tyres Ltd on 01773 520885