Resurgence of Top Hammer Drilling
- 25 March 2008
- Product News
The Top Hammer drills manufactured by Sandvik today are far removed from the drills associated with the rigs of the 60's and 70's. Today over 450 Sandvik DP (Panteras) are operating worldwide with Sandvik GT60 drilling tools. Germany alone has over 70 units operating
We definitely see a new interest in Top Hammer drilling in the UK. Sales of these rigs are slowly increasing with Drilling Contractors adding drills to there fleet. With the reduction in bench heights and smaller hole dia. the power and faster penetration rates of a Top Hammer drill can be fully utilised. Hole quality is now very good, fuel consumption is low (an ever important factor when considering our "Carbon Footprint") and of course you save significantly in fuel costs.
Sandvik offer the DX (Ranger) for Construction and small to medium size quarries. Sandvik DX has the unique rotating top structure for unbeatable drilling coverage and extra stability in rough terrain and the DP (Pantera) for high production quarry applications.
Some key changes and advantages of Sandvik Top Hammer drilling machines
- RockPilotTM drilling system. Adapts automatically feed and percussion pressures to varying rock conditions on the basis of instantaneous penetration speed and rotation torque.
- - Greatly improved drill steel life, gives straighter holes, less jammed drill steels => more production
- High versatility. The same DP (Pantera) rig can drill 92, 96, 102, 115, 127, 140 and 152 mm holes.
- The "Carbon Footprint". Typically a DTH drill will use 50-60 litres per hr. A Top Hammer drill will use nearly half at only 25-35 litres per hour.
- Straight holes and long service life with ō60 mm Sandvik GT60 extension rods
- Fast penetration rates with Sandvik HL1000 and HL1560 rock drills
Sandvik Mining & Construction Ltd
T: 01283 212121
F: 01283 217342